The NHL has a history of dirty players. From Claude Lemieux and Marty McSorley to Todd Bertuzzi and Matt Cooke, some instigators have taken their nonsense to the next level and ascended to the role of the rat. With the recent spotlight on Nazem Kadri’s hit on Justin Faulk on May 19, let’s look at Kadri and two other jackasses in the NHL.
I’ve always hated Nazem Kadri. He’s a talented hockey player that resorts to cheap shots and starting fights he can’t finish. Kadri has a history of shit talking and then cowering when somebody confront him. While I can go on about how much of a little bitch he is, I’d rather highlight his illegal play.
- Nov. 14, 2013 – Suspended three games for running Minnesota Wild goaltended Nicklas Backstrom; injuring him.
- March 2015 – Sat out three games; was sent home due to missing team meetings and being late to practice.
- March 18, 2015 – Suspended four game for hitting Edmonton Oilers forward Matt Fraser in the head.
- Feb. 11, 2016 – Fined $5,000 for making a throat-shashing gesture at Calgary Flames defenseman Mark Giordano.
- April 4, 2016 – Suspended for the last three games of the regular season for crosschecking Detroit Red Wings forward Like Glendening in the face.
- April 12, 2018 – Suspended three games for a boarding penalty on Tommy Wingels of the Boston Bruins
- April 13, 2019 – Suspended for the remainder of the first round of the playoffs (five games) for a high hit on Bruins forward Jake DeBrusk
If Kadri doesn’t get suspended for this hit to Justin Faulk, I would be not only surprised, but pissed. Given his history he should get at least three, if not five, games for this hit. Now as an effort to make us feel better. Here’s a clip of Kadri getting his ass beat.
The incident on May 3 where Tom Wilson suckerpunched New York Rangers forward Pavel Buchnevich and ragdolled Artemi Panarin and the fallout and subsequent linebrawl on May 5 adds to the laundry list of shit he’s done in his career.
- Sept. 22, 2017 – Suspended two preseason games for a hit on St. Louis Blues forward Robert Thomas.
- Oct. 1, 2017 – Suspended four games for boarding Blues forward Sammy Blais
- May 1, 2018 – Suspended three games for hitting Pittsburgh Penguins forward Zach Aston-Reese in the head.
- Sept. 20, 2018 – Initially suspended 20 games for blindsiding Blues forward Oskar Sundqvist. His suspension was reduced to 14 games.
- March 6, 2021 – Suspended six games for a hit on Boston Bruins defenseman Brandon Carlo.
I’m not gonna lie, Wilson should have been suspended a handful more times in his career. He should’ve been suspended in 2018 for this hit on Alexander Wennberg.
The fact that Wilson was only fined $5,000 for the incident with the Rangers is a disgrace especially because he was suspended only two months earlier. Again, let’s watch this guy get his ass beat for a little bit to feel beter.
Now we get to the biggest and in my opinion the most infuriating person in the NHL. Brad Marchand is like Kadri, but more talented and more of a little shit. He’s a gutless player who will spear somebody in the junk one second, score a goal the next and then lick someone right afterward. I’m not kidding, he licks people.
- 2011 – Suspended two games for elbowing Columbus Blue Jackets forward RJ Umberger.
- 2011 – Suspended five games for low-bridging Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman Sami Salo.
- 2015 – Suspended two games for slew footing Rangers forward Derick Brassard.
- 2015 – Suspended three games for a hit on Ottawa Senators defenseman Mark Borowiecki.
- 2017 – Suspended two games for spearing Lightning defenseman Jake Dotchin.
- 2018 – Suspended five games for elbowing New Jersey Devils forward Marcus Johansson.